In an apparent attempt to solidify its standing in the corporate world, RIM has unveiled a new platform that allows IT specialists to more tightly manage company devices even those from rival manufacturers like Apple and Android. With the BlackBerry Mobile Fusion software, announced this morning – the Company’s next-generation enterprise mobility solution and RIM’s entry into the multi-platform Mobile Device Management (MDM) marketplace. Companies will be able to set up rules governing employee passwords apps and other software across a variety of smartphones and tablets, including the iPhone, iPad and Android handsets. The system also allows managers to remotely wipe and lock any devices that go missing or stolen, potentially bringing enhanced security to a workplace that’s become increasingly fragmented.
“Our customers have been saying, ‘We’re moving to these different adoption models, and we’d like you on board with that,’” said Alan Panezic, vice president for enterprise product management, in an interview with the Wall Street Journal.
Slated to launch during the first quarter of next year, Mobile Fusion represents RIM’s first foray into the multi-platform management market, and may expand even further to encompass Windows Phone devices, as well. Compatible with BlackBerry OS and BBX, Mobile Fusion will also allow users to remotely manage PlayBooks from BlackBerry handsets, though that won’t happen until February, when the tablet finally receives a software update. No word yet on pricing, but Panezic says it will be “competitive” with the market.
BlackBerry Mobile Fusion will provide the following mobile device management capabilities for all supported mobile devices:
• Asset management
• Configuration management
• Security and policy definition and management
• Secure and protect lost or stolen devices (remote lock, wipe)
• User- and group-based administration
• Multiple device per user capable
• Application and software management
• Connectivity management (Wi-Fi®, VPN, certificate)
• Centralized console
• High scalability
- 09/06/2012 • A look at the attitudes and characteristic of smartphone users – Infographic
- 08/30/2012 • DriveScribe monitors speed, blocks all texts, updates and calls while the car is in motion
- 08/21/2012 • ooVoo updates its iOS and Android apps to support four-way video calls
- 08/16/2012 • Amber alert device to safeguard your kids
- 08/15/2012 • Pinterest now available for Android, iPad
- 06/25/2012 • Facebook’s new mobile feature for finding people around you: Find Friends Nearby